Hi-Q Billiards, 5083 Monroe St.

According to Toledo Blade obituaries, Hi-Q was once owned and operated by Duane Phillip “Dewey” Post, possibly in the 1970’s. Ohio Secretary of State filings note Hi-Q Articles of Incorporation being filed by Lawrence Kahan on August 24, 1984. The business was dissolved by Marjorie Kahan in 1993. Location later became Davey K’s Joint. Façade has since been remodeled and location was recently vacant/for lease.

Continue reading “Hi-Q Billiards, 5083 Monroe St.”

Economy Garage, 6106 W. Central.

Large single story concrete block garage located on the northwest corner of Central and Fairbanks. Opened 1929/30. Operated by William and Albena Sysok (b1903-d1985) from Scranton, PN, who also lived next door to the business. Closed 1951. Later became Central Farm Stores (1954-1958). For sale in 1967-68. Likely purchased by George Ballas around 1970. Became George Ballas GMC Motor Home Division (1975-1980). Demolished in the 1980s.

Continue reading “Economy Garage, 6106 W. Central.”

Russ Lumber and Supply Company, 6048 W. Central.

Russ Lumber & Supply Company (1959-1972). Grose Generator Service (c1970s). Grose later moved to Dorr Street near Reynolds. Gun World (c1980s) also did business at this address. Their sign is visible in the aerial pic. Various used car dealerships did business at this location through the late ’80s into the ’90’s. Possibly Jimal’s Bar for some time in the ’70s. Demolished c2020.

Continue reading “Russ Lumber and Supply Company, 6048 W. Central.”

Penguin Music, 5459 Monroe St.

Penguin Music Store #3.

“You have never been to a music store if you have not visited Penguin Music Store on Monroe Street.” – Newspaper Ad, November 16, 1986.

Penguin Music was founded by Lawrence A. Oberheu c1953. Monroe store closed February 1, 2000. Demolished between 2000-2005. Additional locations were on Sylvania Avenue and Detroit Avenue.

Continue reading “Penguin Music, 5459 Monroe St.”

Motor Head, Alexis Park.

Motor Head was a hangout in the Alexis Park parking lot at the corner of Lewis and Alexis roads in the ’80s. According to a 1989 Toledo Blade article the location was “dubbed ‘Motor Head’ after the kids’ persistent cruising. Motor Head has been a teen hangout for years, but police say its popularity has dwindled and that crime was not as common there as it is at Southwyck.”

Continue reading “Motor Head, Alexis Park.”