The original Caesars opened in the mid-1970s. It was owned by Joseph C. Wicks and located in the 100 block of Erie Street between Monroe Street and Jefferson Avenue between the International Health Studio and the Carl H. Blank Beauty Salon. Caeser’s relocated to 725 Jefferson in the mid-1990s, moving into the old Burt’s Theatre building, a Venetian inspired playhouse, at Jefferson and Ontario Streets.
Famous for its takeout shrimp, The Spot was owned by Gilbert and Mayme Turner. Their son Nelson managed the restaurant and bar. The Spot was one of many structures that fell victim to the City of Toledo’s massive urban renewal project on Dorr Street in the mid-1970s. According to an August 30, 2006 article in the Blade, “362 homes and storefronts, two theaters, a bowling alley, and a number of offices were demolished within 2 1/2 years.”
Formerly the Frontier Bar. Before that it was Houser’s Animal Hospital. Before that it was the Melody Inn (built in 1917). Melody Inn relocated to 6118 W. Central Avenue around 1946. After the Driftwood Lounge closed the location has been various businesses, and a large metal barn was built directly behind the former bar.
The Melody Inn was located on the northeast corner of Central at Piero. Opened in the late ’40s. Closed December 1973. Structure was destroyed by fire March 1974. This was the second location of the Melody Inn. The first location was at 3535 Holland-Sylvania (NW corner of Holland-Sylvania and Blossman) in a building constructed in 1917 that would later become the Frontier Bar and Driftwood Lounge. Charles Scott was part owner of the Melody Inn from 1954 to 1965. In 1974 the Melody Inn was owned by William Pompili, alleged associate with organized crime figures from Detroit in the ’70s.