The World Theatre opened in 1921. In the early ’30s it was managed by Burt Shoonmaker. The World Theatre closed in December of 1963. Sepia Enterprises bought, renovated and reopened the World Theatre as the Sepia Arts Theatre in 1971. Charles Corley was the president of Sepia Enterprises and Erskine Guyton, treasurer. The theatre was badly damaged by a fire in 1973 and demolished later in the ’70s.Continue reading “World Theater, 1229 Dorr St.”
Owned and run in the 1940’s by Paul Pontuis. Managed by Richard Campbell for 16 years.Continue reading “Sylvan Theatre (Sylvania), 5658 Main St.”
Was located in West Toledo’s Five Points area. Built 1921 by Clarence Cousino and partners. Cousino sold his interest in 1923. In 1924 the theater was managed by Isaac Tattersall. During the silent picture days Toledo musician Mrs. Claribel Blomquist played piano at the Sylvan. Later became the Park Theater operated by Smith & Beidler (’30s/’40s), then Wings of Healing Temple (1955-57). Demolished. Closed Rudy’s Hot Dog now occupies the site.