2025 Arlington Avenue
The Lucas County/Maumee Valley Hospital began service to the poor and indigent adults and children of the city and county in May, 1931. Originally known as the Lucas County Hospital and Nurse’s Home, construction began in January, 1930 on the former grounds of the Northwestern Insane Asylum and Lucas County Infirmary.
When it opened, the hospital contained 260 beds and offered emergency, general medicine, surgery, obstetrics, and maternity and child care services. Central nurse stations, a children’s floor (fifth), a surgery amphitheater for teaching, and the overall modernity of the facility reportedly allowed it to serve as a model for other institutions. In November 1944 the name of the hospital was changed to Maumee Valley Hospital.
In December 1970 the Maumee Valley Hospital was leased to the new Medical College of Ohio at Toledo (M.C.O.T). A rapid decline in services and building safety took place through the ’70s. The Medical College canceled its lease in 1980. The Hospital was vacated and stood unused and subject to vandalism and physical degradation.
The hospital was saved from the wrecking ball and is now a senior living community known as The Lakewoods.