Centre Supermarket was started by brothers Fred, George and Raymond Saba in 1951 at Stickney Avenue and Manhattan Boulevard. They had previously worked at their father’s grocery store Saba’s Market on Cherry Street. At its peak, the chain had eight supermarkets in the Toledo area, including one in Bowling Green. Centre Supermarkets closed in 1989.
“We were among the first stores in the area to have a full line of services. We always were good with produce, from working in our father’s store, but we learned as we went along. Our stores were among the first to have in-store deli’s and bakeries.” -Fred Saba
This location (next to Kmart) was a Kmart Food before it became Centre. After Centre it was a Food Town.